On the week nights I don’t like to always spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Plus, with spring coming along we now have a schedule full of after school activities for our kids. Between two soccer teams and swim lessons, it leaves for little time and extremely hungry kids.
So with all of their activities and love for playing outside, I want to find quick and easy, well-rounded dinner recipes. But I have to tell you, sometimes I really lack in the “well-rounded” dinners department. I often make a main dish and forget to make any sides, which leaves me scrambling to find something to give them.
Because of this complete meal issue, I love making different varieties of stir-fry, due to the fact there’s already all sorts of veggies included. It may also be because I love veggies that are stir-fried; they are still a little crisp but not raw, yum!
I was perusing a fitness magazine the other day and came across this recipe for beef and bok choy stir-fry. It immediately fit the bill for an easy and healthy weeknight meal.
Make sure to carefully clean the bok choy as dirt can get stuck down in the stalks. I can always find baby bok choy in my grocery store, however I know it may not be easily found in everyone’s. You could definitely use broccoli in place of it if you would like.
Adapted from “Fitness Magazine”
- 2 cups brown jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce or amino acids
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4½ tsp sherry
- 1 pound top round or flank steak
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon, fresh minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound baby bok choy, cut each stalk in half
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 4 scallions, diced
- 1 tsp honey
- Cook jasmine rice according to package directions.
- Mix soy sauce, sriracha, sesame oil, and sherry in a large bowl, set aside.
- Cut your steak into thin slices, making sure to cut against the grain. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat. Add sesame oil, ginger, and garlic. Stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add Steak to pan and stir-fry until meat is browned, 4-5 minutes. Once steak is done, transfer steak to the bowl with the marinade. Toss to coat.
- Place wok back over heat and add the remaining sesame oil, bok choy, jalapenos, scallions and honey. Stir-fry until bok choy is crisp but tender. Return steak and marinade to wok and cook for 2 minutes. Serve warm over brown rice.
(Originally Posted: March 23, 2014)