What!?! You put spinach in your pancakes? Why yes I did, and you wouldn’t even know it!
So my kids love things that taste like mint. I love to give them nutritious food. Every week I make up a large amount of pancakes and freeze them for the kids to eat for breakfast throughout the week. Each week I try to change it up a little. I also try to make sure it is wholesome food so they are getting a great start to their day.
Recently, I started trying to come up with a little variety to my weekly pancakes. I put spinach in my smoothies all the time and I also give those same smoothies to my kids and they have no idea that it is in there. That’s where this idea started. I also knew it would soon be St. Patrick’s Day and I thought it would be fun to make them green pancakes. I don’t really like to use dyes in my food, and I understand that sometimes it’s necessary like when you are making cupcakes and cakes. But for me, I try to avoid it — so spinach it is!
So after I finally got these made, my kids went nuts over them. So much so, I didn’t get a picture the first time around and they were all upset because there wasn’t any left for breakfast. Needless to say the second time I made them, they ate them all that day too (but after a few pictures)!
* I only used the chocolate sauce for the pictures; these pancakes don’t need any topping to them! But, if you feel that you need more chocolate feel free to add some over the top.
- 3 large handfuls baby spinach
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Place the first 6 ingredients in your blender and blend on low speed for 1-2 minutes, just until your spinach is completely broken down and incorporated.
- Pour the spinach mixture into a large bowl. Add to the bowl the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk together until everything is completely combined. No lumps should be remaining.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Heat an electric skillet to 350 degrees.
- Scoop ¼ cup of the batter onto griddle and cook for about 1 minute on each side. Continue with remaining batter.
(Originally Posted: 03-04-14)