Did you know you can make your own roast beef deli meat at home? It is incredibly easy; the hardest part will be waiting to eat it!
There are a lot of benefits to making your own deli meat at home. For one, it’s cheaper. Second, you can control the sodium content. Deli meat is known for its high sodium levels, along with many other chemicals that are added to make it shelf ready and stable.
When I made mine I was in the mood for Italian flavors, so I created an Italian rub. It made the house smell devine.
Roast Beef Deli Meat
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2lb eye of round roast
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Place a piece of foil over a cooking sheet, set a cookie rack on the pan, and spray lightly with oil.
- Mix the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl. Use your fingers to break up the garlic and get everything worked together.
- Trim excess fat off of your roast.
- Sprinkle a small amount of olive oil on your roast. Spread the olive oil over the entire roast. You want enough to give a light coating so your herbs will stick to it.
- Spread the herb mixture onto you roast. Give it a little rub, to make sure you work it into the meat a little. Make sure all of the meat is thoroughly coated with the herb mixture.
- Place herb covered roast on the cookie rack. Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, reduce heat to 300 degrees and bake an additional 30 minutes. Check the temperature of your meat; if your meat is 120 degrees it is ready to be removed. If not, continue to cook, checking every 10 minutes.
- Remove roast from the oven, and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Wrap the roast first in parchment paper and then in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Cut deli meat into thin slices.
(Originally Posted: 03-04-14)