I first tried this quinoa stuffing right before Thanksgiving, when a couple friends and I were trying to come up with our Thanksgiving day meal plan. We were looking for an alternative to traditional bread stuffing and immediately fell in love with this recipe. So much so, I still make it quite often as an entire meal, not just a side. Even better, is it tastes just as good the next day straight out of the fridge. I’m not a huge leftovers fan, so when I find something that taste fantastic the next day it’s a double score! Quinoa is also a super food and has many benefits to your health.
Just for my oldest sista – it’s pronounced keen-wa, not ka-no-a. 🙂 You can find quinoa in most grocery stores. Make sure you read the back because some quinoas you have to rinse first; others are pre-rinsed and ready to go. The quinoa that we use is available from Amazon here.
Recipe adapted from heidipowell.net
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary finely chopped
- ½ tablespoon thyme
- ½ tablespoon sage
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Place bacon in a large sauce pan over medium heat, allow to cook until bacon is about half way cooked, around 5 minutes.
- Throw celery, onion, and herbs into the sauce pan and continue to cook until bacon is starting to crisp and celery is cooked through, about 10 more minutes.
- Add chicken broth and quinoa to pan and stir. Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil. Once the mixture begins to boil turn heat down, to just a simmer and cover and allow to cook about 20 minutes. All of the liquid should be absorbed and quinoa fluffy.
- Add cranberries and stir. Serve quinoa warm.
* You can also make this in your rice cooker. Follow the first 2 steps and then add the bacon mixture, chicken broth and quinoa to rice cooker. Cook on white rice setting. Put cooked quinoa in a bowl and stir in cranberries.
(Originally Posted: 03-03-14)