Dirt Pudding, horrible name right? Don’t let the name put you off! It really is a wonderful treat.
My Mom loves to make this for us for dessert. She’s been making it for as long as I can remember. When she makes a pan of dirt pudding for all of us at any family gathering you better get it first thing or it will be gone. I think it’s her Grandma “claim to fame”. You know the one food you always remember your Grandma for.
My baby boy recently turned 7. He told me on his birthday, “Mom, I’m 7 now and you can’t treat me like a baby anymore” wahhhhhh. Okay so that was his argument on why we should make his bedtime later. Sorry buddy but you’ll always be my baby!
In our house, our kids get to pick what they would like for breakfast, dinner and dessert on their birthday. Well this is what little man wanted for dessert. I adapted this from my mom’s original recipe.
- 1 (8oz) cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 small packages instant vanilla pudding.
- 1 (12oz) container of cool whip, thawed
- 32 oz. pkg. Oreos
- 3 ½ cup milk
- Optional: gummy worms
- Place ½ of the Oreos in your food processor and blend until they reach a fine crumb texture(similar to dirt). If you do not have a food processor, place ½ of the Oreos in a gallon zip lock bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Spread the crushed Oreos in the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream the butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar with your paddle attachment.
- In a separate bowl mix the instant pudding and milk together with a whisk.
- Mix the pudding mixture into the cream cheese mixture. Then carefully spread over the Oreo crumbs in the 9x13 pan.
- Place the remaining Oreos into the food processor and process. Sprinkle evenly over the top of pudding mix.
- Place in fridge to set for at least 1 hour before serving. Can top with gummy worms if desired.