This morning we woke up to yet more of the fluffy white stuff (enough already)! I got the kids’ lunches packed and got them all ready to go to school. As I was walking them to the bus stop, I fell to my demise. Okay, it felt like I did. You know those 5 seconds it took for me to hit the ice, flail around trying to catch my balance and eventually landing square on my bum. Yep, my children found this uncontrollably funny! As I got up with my bruised ego and possibly bum, I realized that one of my neighbors had watch the whole thing go down. Double embarrassment, unlike my children she was quite concerned that I fell, and made sure I was okay. My children were still snickering in the background.
As I walked to the bus stop with my head hung low, I remembered I had Cherry Coffee Cake waiting for me when I got home. I felt much better after getting to enjoy this quick and easy breakfast treat, now if my body didn’t feel like it hit concrete at an astronomical pace my day would be perfect.
This recipe is such a quick and simple recipe to make, most things you probably already have in your pantry. You can feel free to use in fruit flavored pie filling, it doesn’t have to be cherry.
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, cold
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place flour, sugar, baking soda and salt into a large bowl, and give it a quick stir. Cut butter into ½ inch pieces and add to the flour mixture. With a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it is well blended and begins to look like crumbs.
- Measure out ½ cup of this mixture and set aside.
- Add the eggs and milk to the large bowl with the flour mixture. Stir all ingredients together until they are well combined. Pour mixture into a greased 8x10 pan.
- Next spoon cherry pie filling over the cake mixture in the pan. Gently spread the pie filling around, it doesn’t have to be covering every spot. Then sprinkle the ½ cup of mixture you reserved, over the entire pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes.